Wednesday, July 24, 2013

York: a city that transcends time.


Scenic York
Yesterday after class, I took the train up to York by myself for a day trip in the city. My friends had all gone the Sunday I was in London and had a great time, so naturally I felt the need to explore York for myself. Plus, my family and I spent several days there when we went in 2004, leaving me nostalgically longing to go.

The Fisher Phone Booth
Upon my arrival into York, I called my Dad and asked him about a certain phone booth that needed to be tracked down. You see, this phone booth is very special to my family because we have, coincidentally, gotten our photo taken in front of it each time we've gone to York. My parents traveled to England and Scotland before my sisters and I were born and got a picture with it, then when we all went we stumbled upon this same phone booth and snapped a picture with it, so of course I needed to get my picture with it on this excursion. I made my way along the River Ouse and the ancient Roman wall barricading the city until I found the Fisher Phone Booth. It was tucked away on a quiet street corner, a bit dilapidated and in need of some TLC. I have to say, I was quite sad to see how poor of a state it is in, but I nonetheless was pleased with myself for reaching my destination. I looked a bit ridiculous snapping selfies in front of this phone booth, but frankly I didn't care. I know this is very cheesy, but I really hope this phone booth doesn't bite the dust. Who knows, maybe I'll return with friends or a spouse or my own family and will get the same picture that the Fishers continue to take. It's just a sweet reminder of times past, a familiar landmark sentimental to those I love.

You can even see Leeds from here!
 I made my way along the wall and into the city center; York is very unique because it still upkeeps the narrow, ancient roads from the Tudor years, lined with quaint shops and museums. York Minster came into my line of vision, and I eagerly entered the magnificent cathedral. The day started very dreary, however the clouds cleared and the weather was sunny finally, shining light through the breathtaking stained-glass windows. I opted to climb to the top of York Minster, a feat that not everyone choses to conquer. Our time-slot for the ascent lined up and shuffled into the narrow turret containing the whopping 237 steps it would take to reach the top. As we began, I thought to myself, "This is nothing. I'm a (somewhat) fit individual. Heck, I'm 20 years old, I can do anything, basically." My confidence was a bit premature. The thing about the climb is not so much the act of walking up so many steps....it's the endless repetition of going round and round a dark circular stairway with no clue when the top has been reached. FINALLY, though, we made it, and the view of Yorkshire from the top was worth it! I was proud of myself and marveled in the sweeping sights seen from atop York Minster.

I made my way down the steps (not very fun) and got to look around the gothic church. I have to say, if you've never seen an ancient cathedral, you haven't seen true beauty. It almost makes me cry how breathtaking a building can be -- call me crazy, but York Minster is a marvel of masonry, physics and art. It is nothing less than sensational to stand in the nave and spin round and round, unable to catch your breath because your senses are so overwhelmed with the grandeur. It is a spiritual encounter, bringing those who experience this church's glory closer to God whether they realize it or not. I literally could not help but thank Him for this treasure of a church and for the fact that I, in 2013, get to witness this ancient beauty no longer found in the modern world. This is why studying abroad is so important. It puts things into perspective and makes you appreciate the world you live in. It's a gift.

Thanks and gig 'em,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment